Re: about anaconda

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Matt Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:28:09AM +0800, John wrote:
> > Unless I misunderstood something, if I acknowledge Red Hat's copyright
> > claim, I'm misusing Red Hat's trademark.
>
> That is not correct.  You have to remove any use of Red Hat's
> trademarks from any product that you are selling for commercial gain.
> Red Hat's corporate name in copyright statements is different.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt
>
> > However, I am _not_ a lawyer, and I _am_ easily confused. I'd really hat
> > to have to explain to Professor Fels (who heads the body that enforces
> > our Trade Practices Act) these CDs, which are perfect copies of Red Hat
> > Linux, do _not_ contain Red Hat Linux. How can I argue that the contents
> > of the CDs are different from one Red Hat sells? Or that the same CDs on
> > offer at PLUG do contain Red Hat Linux, when I myself don't see the
> > difference?
>
> Red Hat Linux, as a product, is more than the CDs that you have
> burned.  Representing only the CDs on a web-site for sell (or eBay, or
> other corporate endeavor) as "Red Hat Linux" is false.  Only the
> software combined with the other goods and services that go into our
> product can be called "Red Hat Linux", and the use of that mark to
> advertise or endorse a product requires a trademark license from the
> trademark holder (that is, Red Hat, Inc.)
>
> This is an important distinction that confuses a lot of people.
>
> Hope this helps.

I do not understand how I can burn CDs for the local LUG and represent
those as being Red Hat Linux, but if I sell them from my office, even at
a lower price, I can't.

I downloaded "Red Hat Linux" from one of your mirrors, and I believe I
can properly claim to be running Red Hat Linux on all my computers that
I installed from this source of software.

I do not see how this is any less "Red Hat Linux" than what I might
install for a client, nor what someone would get by buying a set of CDs
from me. In all cases I and my client would have precisely the same
product in any way I can interpret the term.

I understand that I am entitled to copy Red Hat Linux CDs as many times
as I like. Since I cannot see any difference between what I get by
downloading the ISOs and burning CDs and what Jo Dow would have if she
bought a set of CDs I created from the same images, I can only see
that Red Hat seeks to use trademarks to limit the rights the GPL
provides.

The only confusion I see in the market is created by Red Hat. As best I
can see it, if I claimed the CDs do _not_ contain the software called
"Red Hat Linux" then I would be in breach of the Trade Practices Act.

--
Please, reply only to the list.