Re: about anaconda

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Matt Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:17:30PM +0800, John wrote:
> >
> > Dunno what that does to the copyright claim though!
>
> Copyright claims are different.  You can't remove copyright notices.

Unless I misunderstood something, if I acknowledge Red Hat's copyright
claim, I'm misusing Red Hat's trademark.

It seems pretty clear to me that if I download the ISO images and create
CDs from them, I cannot sell those CDs (except at a LUG) and represent
it as being a copy of Red Hat Linux because Red Hat says I'm misusing
Red Hat's trademark(s). Even worse is creating a set of CDs with all
updates included, or adding a CD containing some additional software and
selling the combination, saying it "includes Red Hat Linux.". Red Hat
expressly prohibits that.

However, I am _not_ a lawyer, and I _am_ easily confused. I'd really hat
to have to explain to Professor Fels (who heads the body that enforces
our Trade Practices Act) these CDs, which are perfect copies of Red Hat
Linux, do _not_ contain Red Hat Linux. How can I argue that the contents
of the CDs are different from one Red Hat sells? Or that the same CDs on
offer at PLUG do contain Red Hat Linux, when I myself don't see the
difference?

Please, don't reply off-list. I don't regard that as a favour.