Re: installer maintenance issues (was: buildinstall problems with 7.3)

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 19:38, Tony Nugent wrote:
> If the BOOT kernel has got too big to be used for anaconda, then
> what is the point of having an update for it available in the first
> place?  It's is useless for rebuilding the installer, which (I
> assume) is one of the major reasons for its existence.  It needs to
> be kept trim (yet functional) enough to remain useful for this
> purpose, and I guess this has been overlooked in QA.

You're assuming that your practice of rebuilding the installer with
newer packages is at all a supported behavior or the like, and it's just
not.  There are just too many ways in which kernels can and do change
over time to reliably be able to anticipate what's going to happen and
adjust.  eg, to get current rawhide-esque trees with boot disks that
fit, I have to start dropping modules from bootnet.

Also, keep in mind that the current kernel errata for all 2.4 kernel
releases is the same (well, 7.x is built with gcc 2.96 and the 8.0 one
is built with 3.2, but otherwise, they're the same).  There's no way
that the 7.1/7.2 installer boot disks will fit with this newer BOOT
kernel -- later releases use dietlibc for the loader and so the BOOT
kernel has been changed somewhat accordingly.  We also have somewhat
changed to a degree what's modular and what's built-in.

And this is just touching on the kernel...  there are some other
packages that can act similarly.

Cheers,

Jeremy