Re: Creating RPM from the Source.

Hi,

those steps look right to me.
What you can verify is if, during step 9, you see it actually executing
the patch command. If it's not, then you're somehow building from an old
No. I am building the new spec only. After spending a day,

Well,, you didn't answer the question. Have you confirmed from output of the rpm build process that you are actually building from that spec file, by SEEING if the patch gets applied ?

Actually the build output shows the patch applied.

(Even i tried putting some junk characters in the summary & description like ,
*%description runtime*
*The anacondsdfasda-sdfrunsdftime psdfasdfackage csdfontains parts of the uLisdfn ux sfdsdfinasdfstfaller which are needed for installing new systems. These file are sdf dsfused to build dsfsdusdfLafsdinux medsdidsfa sets, but are nsdfot sdfm
eant fsdfor sdfusdfe osdfn asdflrsdfeady isdfnssdftalled sysdfssdftems.*
)
9. finally, rpmbuild -ba anaconda.spec (which i modified in step 8)
10. It created 2 rpms under /RPMS/i386 dir.
11. rpm -qip anaconda-7.3-runtime-i386.rpm gives

you sure it was named this and not anaconda-runtime-7.3-8.i386.rpm ?

You are correct. anaconda-runtime-7.3-8.i386.rpm is the right name. Sorry for my typo error.

Name        : anaconda-runtime             Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 7.3                               Vendor: (none)
Release : 8 Build Date: Wed 06 Nov 2002 05:21:11 PM IST Install date: (not installed) Build Host: javclnt1.inunilogin.com Group : Applications/System Source RPM: anaconda-7.3-8.src.rpm
Size        : 3856820                          License: GPL
Description :
The anaconda-runtime package contains parts of the Red Hat Linux
installer which are needed for installing new systems. These files are
used to build Red Hat Linux media sets, but are not meant for use on
systems that have already been installed with Red Hat Linux.

The output shows that the description and summary was replaced with my junk (!) description given in the spec

I suppose you mean here that it was NOT replaced with it - I don't see it being replaced in any case. If it were, your problem would be solved ;)

Ya ur right.Sorry again typo error. I missed "not" :)

Don't build as root either, but that's an aside.

I logged in as normal user, but could not created directories in some locations. Only root can do
rpmbuild.

No, that's not true.  You just create an .rpmmacros file in your homedir,
containing
%_topdir /home/thomas/rpm

(replace thomas with your user name)

And you create the dir "rpm", which should contain the same dirs as /usr/src/redhat.

Really, don't build rpms as root, it's not necessary and if you build a silly spec that executes rm -rf / you're screwed.

The important bit here is to CHECK OUTPUT of the rpmbuild command.
You NEED to verify if it executes the patch that you made.

Yes. It executes the patch.