Re: FAQ Request

On Thu Aug 01 2002 at 16:16, Matthew Gress wrote:

> I have some straight-up FAQ-type questions for the list and thought I
> could save everybody's time by just asking for the FAQ to be posted
> again or a pointer to it.

I'm not aware of any FAQ as such, but I asked much the same
questions as you have and (with some help) managed to work much of
it out.  I have put the result up on a web page...
	http://www.linuxworks.com.au/redhat-installer-howto.html

It's probably about the most comprehensive explaination around, but
I'm hoping it will become obselete when the anaconda docs themselves
finally explain all the details.

> If not:
>
> Exactly what is the procedure, step-by-step, for making the
> distributions?  I have run genhdlist to include some new kernels and
> reburn Disc1, but as an example of what I want to do:
> Take the standard ISOs and update some of the packages, replace the
> cdboot image with one that recognizes more hardware (preferably one with
> the newest stable kernel),
> compress the distribution down to one disk once I know the superset of
> stuff I want to install on my systems, and build new comps and new
> Server Roles ("Workstation", "Server", etc.).
>
> I plan on putting together a makefile that will rebuild whichever part
> of this is necessary whenever our software release must be updated and
> result in a CD/DVD image.

That's a great idea, go for it :)   I've written a shell script, but
doing it with a Makefile is an alternative idea that I have
contemplated but haven't had time to work on.  [PS:  I'd love to see
the result if you do this.]

Others here have some experience with doing it with DVDs, you might
want to check the mail archives for this list (go back a month or
two).

> I will have to document the above processes myself to hand off this
> process to a software engineering group at my firm once I am done, so I
> thought using existing docs would be much easier.

My humble howto should help to get you going in the right direction.

Beware that there are some problems with using the latest kernel for
rh7.3 with the installer (it doesn't install grub correctly).
Again, check (recent) archives of this list for more details (and
perhaps kickstart-list too).

> Thanks for your time.

Good luck!

Cheers