Re: Making a DVD Install CD

> If you look through the anaconda source directory (at least for 7.2)
> there are about 100 places that it references something under the
> RedHat/ tree, with several of those being in .po files.  It should be
> easy enough to sed -e 's,RedHat/,rh72/RedHat/,' through all the files,
> Remember to restore original permissions after doing that, I have had
> that one bite me.
>
> This is how I would do it
>
> . sed -e 's,Redhat/,rh72/RedHat/,g' on each file
> 	(probably done better in perl)
>
> . Rebuild new anaconda.
>
> . Install the new anaconda rpm.
>
> . Modify your directory structure/build script to reflect addition of
>   rh72/.
>
> . Rebuild w/ buildinstall and related tools.
>
> . Repeate for 7.3
>

> Now here is the intresting part.  You should have cdboot.img's from
> both the 72 and 73 build install, combine them into one (how to fit
> it, I don't know) with a syslinux.cfg that has some entries like this:
>
> label rh72
>   kernel vmlinuz-72
>   append initrd=initrd-72.img devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192 vga=788
>
> And and an equivilent entry for rh73 specifing the 73 kernel and initrd.
>

> The only problem I can forsee with this is trying to get both kernels
> and both initrd's into one cdboot.img.
>
> Good luck and let me know if it works.

With a little skill and determination it should be entirely possible to use the one kernel for both.

The (minor) difficulty is getting the right installer.

label rh72
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img rel=7.2 devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192 vga=788

label rh73
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img rel=7.3 devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192 vga=788

You need to have a front-end that chroots to the correct installer

Testing will require a rewritable DVD.

You could test with CD-RW using a suitably small subset  - say the base set of each 7.x release.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!