Re: python 2.x?

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Allan Bailey wrote:

>   A couple of questions:
>
>  Why does RedHat continue to use python 1.5.2?
>
>  Is there a problem with anaconda and python 2.x?
>

>  I'm in the process of building a stripped down install of RH7.2 for
> server installs from 1 CD, and I'm rebuilding everything for python 2.2.
> So far no problems other that patching things that hard code python1.5.

Red Hat makes a point of maintaining binary compatability between all
versions with the same major version (in this case, 7.x).  Since Python
2 was not ready when 7.0 was released, they stuck with 1.5.2, and thus
had to keep it throughout the 7.x series.

I know that for the most part python 1.5.2 scripts will run with python
2.x, however there are one or two modules that disappeared, meaning
programs that use those modules will not be able to run, thus Red Hat
had to stick with 1.5.2.