Anaconda & RH config tools

Hi all,

I'm the lead developer of Yellow Dog Linux for PowerPC (mostly
Apple Macintosh computers). YDL is derived from Red Hat.  We currently
utilize our own in-house installer but have found that keeping the codebase
current (e.g. adding support for new advancements like journaling
filesystems) as well as QA takes more time then we have
available as a small Linux business in a niche of a niche market. As a
business, we need to offer a Linux distribution for Macs that takes
full advantage of those computers.  So to have time to enhance Red Hat
for Macs essentially, we need to spend less time just keeping our
installer up-to-snuff.

Instead, we'd like to focus on using an open-source installer solution that
we can use to enhance for our platform.   This is where Anaconda comes in.
As we are derived from Red Hat, using Anaconda makes the most sense.  RH
sinks resources into upkeep and QA of Anaconda, leaving us to make
enhancements for our users such as Apple AirPort wireless detection and
configuration from Anaconda's network setup routine.

So, where am I going with this?  Basically, using Anaconda makes much sense
for us.  There are a few things we'd like to see worked on, however.  Our
installer (also python-based) was designed with the following as a primary
design goal:

We wanted each module of the installer to also be accessible in the
post-installation environment.  So, in the current version of YDL, someone
could run /usr/sbin/mouseconfig and setup their mouse.  If the user
is in X, the Gtk+ frontend is used.  If the user is in console, the Newt
frontend is used.  The difference between this and Red Hat, however, is that
our mouseconfig is a symlink to /usr/lib/yi/mouse.py.  Virtually every piece
of our installer code can be accessed in a similar fashion from an installed
system including the partition editor, bootloader setup, etc.

Red Hat has Anaconda modules to complete tasks such as mouse configuration
during installation(*), and C-based programs (e.g. mouseconfig) to be used
for post-configuration. The C-based programs are coded around the Newt
toolkit exclusively.

* There is a "reconfig" mode, but this requires the user to step through
  Anaconda's configuration steps in a linear fashion.  What if I want to
  just reconfigure my mouse?

I've been actively engaging Red Hat's Anaconda folks about implimenting
a system that would yield much more code reuse and the ability to obsolete
the C-based tools.  One of Red Hat's long standing problems has been
inconsistant system tools.  For instance, the KDE-based Kontrol Panel
that Bero and his redhat.de team implimented calls newt-tools, Gtk+
tools, comand-line tools (run through xterms).  This is obviously
very inconsistant.  Anaconda already has a design that allows for multiple
UIs... if Red Hat leveraged this concept to even tools that don't get run
during installation, the overall environment would be much more consistant.

I'm obviously very interested in such an idea to be implimented
(and have offered to contribute code once the wheels are in motion)
as it will allow YDL to move to Anaconda without losing what I believe
is a key feature.  That said, I think that the Red Hat system
would greatly benefit as well.

Thoughts?
Dan

--