Setting a PCM as default device

Hi Alsa users,

I previously asked this question on Linux Audio Users list.
Since no one could help, I'm posting here.

I'm able to play sound with this command:

aplay tmh.wav -D plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7

I would like to make this the default device in asoundrc.

I tried this asoundrc:

pcm.hdmi_out {
  type plug
  ipc_key 5641
  slave {plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7 }
}

pcm.!default {
  type dmix
  slave { pcm "hdmi_out" }
}

Then trying 'aplay tmh.wav' results an error:
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:2079:(snd1_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) Unique IPC key is not defined
aplay: main:830: audio open error: Invalid argument

I'll appreciate any suggestions.

For reference aplay -L lists the following devices.

null
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=9
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 3
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=10
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 4
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 1
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 2
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=9
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 3
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=10
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 4
    Hardware device with all software conversions
default:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog
    Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog
    Front output / input
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC662 rev3 Analog