Re: USB audio on riscv64

Kip and list,

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 2:34 PM Kip Warner <kip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2021-11-06 at 22:13 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> It depends rather on your system setup and desktop environment.
> Usually the device file permissions are managed by logind and
> modified dynamically at login via ACL.
>
> As it's no kernel issue, better to ask your distro.

It probably is a distro issue. But at least we know now that it works
and it's just a matter of fiddling with permissions. Thanks Takashi.

Some distros prefer permission changes related to alsa tools and some advise against it.  For example on the Arch Linux wiki

User privileges

Usually, local users have permission to play audio and change mixer levels.

To allow remote users to use ALSA, you need to add those users to the audio group, however this is not recommended by default (see note below).

Note: Adding users to the audio group allows direct access to devices. Keep in mind, that this allows applications to exclusively reserve output devices. This may break software mixing or fast-user-switching on multi-seat systems. Therefore, adding a user to the audio group is not recommended by default; unless you specifically need to [1].

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.