midi on chromeos crostini and ras pi os

this isn't directly related to alsa.  but i'm hoping yall can help me.
I've been a windows developer of a midi app and i've finally realized that win10 is not for me.
I've found Qt will probably get my old win32 cpp going just fine on linux with a minor rewrite.

So on raspberry pi os, I've got QtCreator and the latest Qt5 kit the ras pi apt install has.  Qt6 on chromeos.

On the ras pi, I have had success using ALSA apis to send a note to my piano and elec drums :)

But my drumkit only shows up if i reboot while the drumkit is powered on.
Just powering on the drumkit doesn't seem to give alsa the ability to list it.
Am I stuck with this?  Can't alsa find it when the device turns on post boot?

And on ChromeOS, lsusb shows me almost nothing and alsa only has 2 pcm devices and no midi.
Is there a way to kick ChromeOS so it can do midi?
Crostini in chromeos is a containerized install of a (possibly stripped down) Debian.

Can anyone point this linux newb in the right direction, please?

...also I don't know if i'm being rude here.  Is this list for general alsa questions like this?

thank you :)