ALSA MIDI on Raspberry PI: no events from input device (USB keyboard)

Hello everyone, new user.

I'm having, for the first time (longtime ALSA user), a problem with my
headless setup.

Board: Raspberry PI 4B
OS: Raspberry OS (Debian 10-derived)
Kernel: 5.10.5-v8+
ALSA version: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k5.10.5-v8+

ALSA only: no jack, no pulseaudio etc. Headless setup, no GUI

Problem: when I connect my MIDI USB keyboard (GarageKey), it is
correctly detected, but I don't receive MIDI messages from it.
The keyboard works OK on another Linux setup (Ubuntu 18).

Output from aconnect -i:
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
client 20: 'GarageKey mini' [type=kernel,card=1]
    0 'GarageKey mini MIDI 1'

Output from aseqdump -l:
 Port    Client name                      Port name
  0:0    System                           Timer
  0:1    System                           Announce
 14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
 20:0    GarageKey mini                   GarageKey mini MIDI 1

No events with asqedump:  :-(

aseqdump -p 20
Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
Source  Event                  Ch  Data

(nothing happens as I play notes on the keyboard)

What "worries" me is that
"client 20: 'GarageKey mini' [type=kernel,card=1]"

In fact, ALSA "sees" my USB keyboard as an audio card, which sounds odd:

cat /proc/asound/cards

 0 [Device         ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio Device
                      C-Media Electronics Inc. USB Audio Device at
usb-0000:01:00.0-1.3, full speed
 1 [mini           ]: USB-Audio - GarageKey mini
                      miditech GarageKey mini at usb-0000:01:00.0-1.2,
full speed

Maybe that's the problem?

Any hint? Thanks!

Fernando