Re: alsa-only applications (such as jitsi) via jackd

* Clemens Ladisch via Alsa-user <alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2020-04-12 11:55]:
> Peter P. wrote:
> > Can I set pcm device names per application as defaults?
>
> If the application does not allow you to set the ALSA device name,
> you have to replace the device definition that the application used
> (probably "default").
Thanks Clemens, just to make sure I get you right: Some applications do
not allow me to set "PCM devices" but only cards? In that case I can
only redefine default by changing/creating a .asoundrc?

> It would be possible to create a device definition that reads an
> environment variable (the "hw" device does this with ALSA_PCM_*),
> but the "default" device does not do this.
I am just making my way through alsa terminology, let me ask you if you
mean a "PCM device" called hw, not the hw as a protocol for accessing
cards?

Thanks again!