Capturing audio on second capture input

Hi Mailing list,

I'm hoping somebody can either help me solve this, or at least confirm that it can't be done so I can stop trying to solve it. Long story short, I have a built-in audio card (ALC892), which looks like it should be able to capture two inputs. At least, alsamixer shows "Capture" and "Capture 1", JACK agrees with that assessment, and if I've figured out how to read the system info, that should be right.

The card has front mic, rear mic, and line-in options. If I assign any of them to "Capture" in alsamixer, I can record from any one of them. But I can't record from "Capture 1". Nothing assigned to it comes through. It has been switched on in alsamixer. I'd like to be able to capture one of the mics and the line-in at the same time.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? What system information do you need to help figure this out? Or is this a known "it doesn't work, stop wasting time on it"?

Thanks,
Christopher