Re: Low volume from "ALC888-VD Analog" device

D. R. Evans wrote on 2/18/20 10:21 AM:
> I recently bought a system with a Supermicro MBD-X11SAT-F-O motherboard, which
> includes audio. Previously, this system ran Windows; it is now running debian
> stable (buster).
>
> Unfortunately, the audio seems to have very low output.
>
> I have fiddled with all the high-level controls available through alsamixer to
> no avail. (Also PulseAudio, although I think -- to the extent that I
> understand how this all is supposed to work -- that that runs on top of ALSA,
> so if ALSA is providing low audio, PulseAudio won't help.)
>
> So I'm thinking that there must be an issue with the driver that debian has
> decided to install and use.
>
> This is a new area for me, and I have no idea how to determine the driver in
> use, or how to change it.
>
> For what it's worth, "aplay -l" says:
>
> ----
>
> card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC888-VD Analog [ALC888-VD Analog]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> ----
>
> Guidance would be very much appreciated.

Does anyone have any further suggestions other than those already made?

I thought about raising the problem on alsa-devel, but that really doesn't
seem to be the right place to say "I can't get this motherboard to work with
ALSA".

Even if I end up having to bypass the problem by using a different, separate
sound board (which is looking increasingly likely), it would be helpful to
future users if I could figure out how to get this board working properly.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans