configuration issues on an Ubuntu/VirtualBox/Vagrant VM

I'm putting together a blind-friendly virtual machine (VM), based on Ubuntu, VirtualBox, and Vagrant.  I'm installing a variety of audio- and accessibility-related software, with the (eventual) objective of letting folks use any or all of them from the command line.  These pages provide some background and list the explicitly installed APT packages:

  http://pa.cfcl.com/item?key=Areas/Content/Overviews/Perkify_Intro/main.toml
  http://pa.cfcl.com/item?key=Areas/Content/Overviews/Perkify_Pkg_List/main.toml

Everything installs without error and some test commands (e.g., aplay, play, speaker-test) work when I try them out in the build environment.  However, when I halt the VM and bring it back up again, I don't get any audio output.  I suspect that some software may be starting up automagically, doing things that I never explicitly requested, etc.  I'm hoping that someone on this list can help me to resolve these issues.

# Setup

My .profile contains the line "export AUDIODRIVER=alsa"

Each of these commands produces the expected sound, when run in the build environment:

$ speaker-test -s1
$ play -q foo.ogg

When I run the following command in the build environment, nothing is listed under "default":

$ aplay -L
null
jack
    JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
default
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, STAC9221 A1 Analog
    Default Audio Device

However, in the restored environment, "default" reports "Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server":

$ aplay -L
null
jack
    JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, STAC9221 A1 Analog

As a starting point, I'd like to know how restore the "default" value, so that things play again.  Then, I'd like to find out what is clobbering things, so that I can prevent that from happening.  Help?

-r

P.S.  FWIW, my customization and provisioning code for ALSA (in the Vagrantfile) looks like this:

  def cust_alsa(vm)
  #
  # Customize the VM's audio settings, based on the host's operating system.

    vm.provider :virtualbox do |vb|
      audio = case RUBY_PLATFORM
        when /darwin|mac os/;                             'coreaudio'
        when /bccwin|cygwin|emc|mingw|mswin|msys|wince/;  'dsound'
        when /linux/;                                     'alsa'
      end

      vb.customize [ 'modifyvm',  :id,
        '--audio',                audio,
        '--audiocontroller',      'hda',
        '--audioout',             'on'
      ]
    end
  end

  def prov_alsa(vm)
  #
  # Provision support for ALSA
  #
  # This code is adapted from Christoph Neumann's vagrant-audio Vagrantfile
  # (in https://github.com/christoph-neumann/vagrant-audio), with help from
  # Clemens Ladisch and Eric Zuck.  See also `./cust_alsa.rb`.
  #
  # For details, see:
  #   https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-modifyvm-general
  #   https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/virtualbox/configuration.html
  #     #vboxmanage-customizations

    vm.provision "shell", inline: <<SHELL
extra=linux-modules-extra-$(uname -r)
echo "extra: $extra" #!T
apt-get install -y linux-image-generic $extra alsa-utils

sudo usermod -aG audio vagrant

cat <<CONF > /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hw:0,1"
}
CONF

sudo modprobe snd
sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
sleep 2
sudo amixer -c 0 set Master playback 100% unmute
SHELL
  end