Re: connecting ALSA from a VM to the host?

I've made some progress with this issue, but I'm still not getting sound.  By way of background, I'm doing my development and testing on a MacBook Air, running macOS High Sierra (10.13.6).  As I recently posted:

> I've successfully built a VirtualBox instance, based on Ubuntu, for use under Vagrant.  Now I'd like to set up ALSA to use the host's audio output system.  Making things more complicated, the host could be running Linux, macOS, Windows, or ???

I reworked my Vagrantfile to incorporate some ideas from Christoph Neumann's vagrant-audio Vagrantfile (in https://github.com/christoph-neumann/vagrant-audio).  For details, see this gist:

  https://gist.github.com/RichMorin/dc9138962c19c205697bea23cce5134c

After building the VM, I can SSH into it via `vagrant ssh`.

If I then run `speaker-test`, the program prints out some promising text and then hangs:

  vagrant@vagrant:~$ speaker-test
  speaker-test 1.1.8

  Playback device is default
  Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
  Using 16 octaves of pink noise
  Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
  Buffer size range from 69 to 17832
  Period size range from 34 to 8917
  Using max buffer size 17832
  Periods = 4
  was set period_size = 4458
  was set buffer_size = 17832
   0 - Front Left

And, if I do `aplay -L`, I get:

  vagrant@vagrant:~$ aplay -L
  null
  default
  sysdefault:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, STAC9221 A1 Analog
    Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, STAC9221 A1 Analog
    Front speakers

Helpful clues, comments, and suggestions are solicited.

-r