Re: Using the multi plugin with a device with different number of inputs and outputs

Thanks! It appears to be working.

I also find another solution, using plughw:

pcm.multiES8 {
   type multi

   slaves.a.pcm hw:USB
   slaves.a.channels 2

   slaves.b.pcm plughw:ES8
   slaves.b.channels 16          #Use the highest value (in this case, the output value which is 16). 4 inputs (12 to 15) will not be used at all.

   ... bindings ...
}

This would basically create (as far as I understand) additional 4 inputs channels (since the ES-8 inputs count is 12) which will not be used.

Which of the two solutions will perform better, in your opinion?
Also, I noticed the existence of a "master" parameter for the multi type. What is its utility? Is it to define which of the sound cards used will hold the master clock? Does this mean that the other cards will perform drift correction according to the master one?

Thanks

Francesco

Il giorno gio 7 nov 2019 alle ore 14:32 Clemens Ladisch via Alsa-user <alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
Francesco Cameli wrote:
> Is there a way to create a multi device using a different input and output channels number?

Only by creating two devices, one for each direction:

pcm.multiES8 {
    type asym
    playback.pcm {
        type multi