Re: Marian Marc 2 - drivers needed

Hello Fryziu,

Your post intrigued me and I thought I would investigate it.
This card seems to be from a very low volume manufacturer and not produced for some years, potentially 20 years or more. The chipsets you mention are not audio chipsets. The Xilinx is an FPGA and the PLX is a PCI bridge. The card appears to be entirely proprietary and unique. Unfortunately this means drivers for this card would need to upload some binary blob or otherwise program the FPGA for it to work. This makes writing a driver much more difficult if not impossible, combined with the obscurity of this card it explains why there is no driver.

I don't think you have any change of getting it working with ALSA on Linux directly.

However, there is another possible solution.
The manufacturers website no longer offers any downloads for this card, but the web archive has an older version of the site which does: https://web.archive.org/web/20070315160445/http://www.marian.de:80/en/downloads These drivers are of course only for windows. My idea (which is only theoretical) is that you could pass-through the PCI card to a VM running Windows XP. On the VM you then run the Cygwin version of pulseaudio: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/FAQ/#index33h3 You can then forward audio steams from Linux to the VM which is able to play it on the sound card using the Windows drivers. I couldn't much about using pulseaudio on Windows and nothing about using the method I have outlined above. It might work (I haven't tried it) and you would need modern hardware to support the pass-through.

I hope this is of some help to you.

James