human readable names for audio and midi channels

hi,

when using multi channel audio interfaces, it would be awesome to be
able to label the ports to make it easier to select the right (pair of)
channels in the software. Likewise for multi midi interfaces (like the
classic emagic amt8). I know that I can add aliases in QJackctl, but
those are exclusive to this app.

Are there any thoughts on this to support this on the Alsa level?

Stefan