Delta 1010/ ice1712 with parallel outputs

Hi,

I wanted to use my multi channel soundcard (Delta1010/ ice1712) with two
(or more) (ALSA-capable) applications at the same time. For example
Audacious plays something my kids want to hear while I watch a movie
through xine, listening on headphones.

The only way I could manage this setup was a 3 stage configuration:

# first occupy all 8 channels with dmix
pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    slave {
        pcm "hw:M1010,0"
…
        channels 8
    }
}

# second provide an automatic conversion
pcm.mixplug {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "dmixer"
        }
}

# third, primary stereo pcm, routing to outputs 1&2
pcm.primary {
        type route
        slave {
                pcm "mixplug"
                channels 8
        }
        ttable.0.0 1
        ttable.1.1 1
}

# third, secondary stereo pcm, routing to outputs 3&4
pcm.secondary {
        type route
        slave {
                pcm "mixplug"
                channels 8
        }
        ttable.0.2 1
        ttable.1.3 1
}

I also tried to setup primary and secondary as plug by using plug's
ttable. That only gave me errors during configuration, PCM unusable. Any
hints how to accomplish this only with plug?

Second: I really gave my best to get my pcms listed (aplay -L, audacious
device list). Finally I found out, to either set something in
/usr/share/alsa-configuration to on (hints and another parameter, both
being off on standard Gentoo installation) or to simply use hint-section
in asound.conf. Did I miss the bold section in
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc or is there none,
that omitting a hint-section might result in incomplete pcm listing?

Regards, Benno