ALSA on non-Linux systems

Hi everyone, apologies if this is a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere else.

To be as brief as possible, I have a Firewire sound device, which is great for my purposes (Echo Audiofire 2) that I have used for years with Windows, etc.

I recently tried switching to Ubuntu for my main OS and this device is recognized and working, although I have had some complications in that it is labelled as a surround sound device when its not, etc.

What I want to know is, in terms of the os recognizing a device like this, is that down to the hardware support provided by the kernel, or something like ALSA or OSS?

In other words, would having the ALSA library installed on an OS based on BSD or Solaris help me use this Firewire device, or am I limited to a Linux based free OS to play system sound through it?  I've just tried the OpenIndiana live USB and although I have seen ALSA mentioned somewhere in relation to it, there was no acknowledgement of the Audiofire when I ran its device driver utility.

Many thanks,

Kevin.