Re: too much noise when recording voice from mics

On 06/14/2018 10:56 PM, Bill Unruh wrote:
> Is it clipping? (in audacity you can see that the amplitude goes right to the
> top and bottom). 0 dB could well be clipping.
> Do you have your laptop plugged in? Trying recording on
> battery only.

Hi Bill,

many thanks for your help.

I tried to record with battery only some months ago and I got the same
results.

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2018, David Woodfall wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 14 June 2018 21:24, Pablo Rodríguez put forth the proposition:
>>> [...]
>>> The internal microphone gets so much noise that voice is distorted
>>> (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1446304).
>
> Looking at this it is clearly clipping. That will distort your voice. Turn
> down the recording amplitude.

Sorry, but I’m not a sound expert. Is recording amplitude what
pavucontrol calls volume for input devices?

>>> The external microphone doesn’t distort my voice, but the buzz prevents
>>> me from using the computer to record my voice with the external mic
>>> (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=1446305).
>
> This is also clipping but not as badly. There is a lot of noise which really
> looks like
>
> It sounds to me likie a huge amount of noise from the not well shielded
> interenal noise to the sound card. Buy a decent external usb sound card. Or
> buy a better computer.

Laptop is less than six months old. A newer one isn’t an option for me.

Would it be Creative Sound Blaster PLAY! 3 a good external card and
compatible with any recent Linux distribution?

I had similar problems with my previous laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400). My
previous flat didn’t have electrical grounding and I got clipping (now I
know how it is called).

My previous laptop to Inspiron was an Acer Aspire 1353LM and it had no
problems at all with clipping (no matter whether sockets weren’t
grounded or not).

I do have electrical grounding at home. Or it might be that sockets seem
to be grounded, but grounding isn’t properly installed (or it isn’t
properly installed).

I remember recording a presentation with my Inspiron 6400. There was no
clipping, since the socket was grounded. But remember something related
to the fact that I had to set the recording volume with Crunchbang 11 to
avoid clipping.

I understand that I have to confirm whether electrical grounding
actually works where I live. And that sound card shielding in many
laptops is worse than it was a decade ago.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk