Re: USB Audio and selecting optical out

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 14:07:04 +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> 2. If you wish to continue using a DAT recorder in combination with
>> your computer, then consider to spend more than 23,85 € for your
>> computer's audio device.
>
>I'm open for suggestions.

My apologies, it's a bad idea, now I notice that all cheaper
semi-professional USB devices around 300,- € only provide Coaxial
S/PDIF input and output, the only exception seems to be
Behringer, providing at least one device for around 200,- € with optical
ADAT IOs. The user manual mentions that this Behringer device's ADAT IOs
also could be used as optical S/PDIF IOs (not all devices with ADAT IOs
allow usage of those IOs as S/PDIF IOs). While I suspect (I don't know)
that the Behringer device works as good as devices from other vendors
with Linux, I've got concerns regarding durability, so I advice against
Behringer. There are second hand semi-professional PCI cards for less
than 50,-€ available, providing optical S/PDIF, but this doesn't help
you, if you need USB.