Re: ALSA: Unknown device state '3'

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 09:46:21 +0100, Дмитрий wrote:
>I use a piece software called ecasound to push a stream from digital
>input to the output. I've been using it on RPi box with Raspbian since
>"Jessie" release. After updating it to "Stretch" I started to get such
>error messages when I run ecasound like this "/usr/bin/ecasound
>-B:rtlowlatency -b:256 -f:32,2,48000 -i:alsahw,1,0 -o:alsa,softvol":
>
>> ALSA: Unknown device state '3'
>> ALSA: playback xrun handling failed!
>
>It happens when an input stream is stopped. I need to restart ecasound
>to get it working. I guess something is changed in ALSA in Debain
>"Stretch", because in "Jessie" I didn't have such issue. Is there a
>way to prevent such behavior?

Hi, just a shot into the dark,

maybe it's not ALSA, but Meltdown and Spectre mitigation. I don't know
if firmware/microcode is updated or KAISER or KPTI patch sets are
applied to the kernel used by your distro's release, neither do I know
if they affect DSP load. However, Meltdown and Spectre mitigation could
have impact on performance.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ uname -rm
4.14.24-rt19-1-rt x86_64
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Mitigation: PTI
Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
Mitigation: Full generic retpoline

Try booting with  nokaiser  or  nopti .

After doing so, the output should look like this:

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/*
Vulnerable
Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
Mitigation: Full generic retpoline