Re: boss problems solved

On 12/09/2017 06:54 PM, Benjamin via Alsa-user wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> it seems that the problems for BOSS RC-300 and BR-80 have been solved.
> https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17180&p=86347&hilit=boss#p86347
>
> How can these fixes be implemented into the official ALSA? Would be
> great if users didn't have to make their own kernel modules..
I am afraid the case is more complex. I've tried the change for my
roland device (GAIA SH-01, USB_ID(0x0582, 0x0111) and while it makes the
"Unable to change format on ep #84: already in use" message disappear,
it does so by just completely avoiding the roland quirks. For me right
now I can send audio from linux to the device, but recording from the
device on linux records only silence. If I apply the change, also
playing audio to the device is broken.

The search_roland_implicit_fb() was introduced by
commit ba7c2be114243fa4cfcbc66a81db18e1d55abf4b
Author: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Sun Feb 3 22:31:20 2013 +0100

    ALSA: usb-audio: detect implicit feedback on Roland devices

    All the Roland/Edirol/BOSS USB audio devices that need implicit feedback
    show this unambiguously in their descriptors, so it might be a good idea
    to let the driver detect this.

    This should make playback work correctly (at least with Jack) with the
    following devices:
    - BOSS GT-100
    - BOSS JS-8 Jam Station
    - Edirol M-16DX
    - Roland GAIA SH-01

    Signed-off-by: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sadly the code is not documented and I am afraid it is incomplete (seems
to only fix playback in one direction). Also I still have a hard time to
understand any of that, e.g. how the change matches the patch description:
- what is meant by "need implicit feedback"?
- how they "show this unambiguously in their descriptors"

I've added lots of debug prints to my kernel now, but I have no idea how
to fix this and so far no one from the original authors offered help on
my previous attempts :/

FYI: the "Roland GAIA SH-01" still needs me to run "aseqdump -p 20:0" to
avoid the usb power saving issues I reported already :/ (I am on
linux-4.9.0).

Stefan