Problem reading back periods

If I open my sound output device (Intel HDA on Intel mobo), set its
parameters as follows:

access = SND_PCM_ACCESS_RW_INTERLEAVED
format = SND_PCM_FORMAT_S32_LE
channels = 2
rate = 48000
periods = 4
buffer_size = 1024

it returns no errors. If I use snd_pcm_hw_params_get_periods on the
parameters data structure, I get 4. But if I use snd_pcm_hw_params_current
to refill it with the actual values from the device,
snd_pcm_hw_params_get_periods returns 0. All the other accessors return
the correct values. Is this a bug in snd_pcm_hw_params_current, or is it
trying to tell me something? I'm asking because my sound output isn't
working, even though those parameters seem reasonable and it's not
complaining.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx