Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 SPDIF-out issue

Hi all,

I just got a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 USB Audio Interface
which is connected to my AV-receiver via the SPDI-out as otherwise I
get lots of static noise.

While this works flawlessly in Windows 10, ALSA in Linux Mint 18.1
does not set up the SPDIF by default. Only an analog output with the
respective profiles are shown in the end in the Pulse Audio controls.

"aplay -l"  lists the card as follows:

Card 1: K6 [Komplete Audio 6], Device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Sub-Devices: 1/1
  Sub-Device #0: subdevice #0

"aplay -L" includes also the SPDIF-out I want to use:

iec958:CARD=K6,DEV=0
    Komplete Audio 6, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

But the attempt to play a wave file ends like this:

"aplay -D iec958:CARD=K6,DEV=0 test.wav"
Playback: WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate: 44100 Hz, stereo
aplay: set_params:1233: Sample-Format not supported
Available formats:
- S32_LE

Now my only attempt to define the device via /etc/asound.conf looks like this:

pcm.SPDIF {
        type iec958
        card 1
        device 0
}

but does not work. I understand that I maybe have to define some
format conversion...

Can anyone give me hint if this is possible at all and if yes, how I
can set up ALSA for that?

Help is much appreciated!

Thanks and cheers,
Philip