Re: Issues with a RolandGaia SH-01

On 07/27/2016 10:04 PM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
Hi,

I own a Roland Gaia SH-01 synthesizer which has a USB interface to
connect it to a computer. Over this connection it provides both midi and
usb-audio. That is you can send and receive midi, but also audio. The
audio you play from the computer gets mixed into the audio you play on
the keyboard, but also the audio you play on the computer can be
recorded on the computer. For details, see pdfs:
http://roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=SH-01 -> page 42

So far the theory. Attached is the alsa-info.sh output:
- all the devices are detected.
- midi-io works
- playing audio from the computer to the synthesizer works
- recording audio from the synthesizer does not, it records only silence
- alsamixer shows only one single control to set the 'midi input mode'
(whatever that is), there are not volume or mute controls for the audio
interface
Quick update with 4.4.X kernels, playing audio to the synth just play noise. So this also regressed. None of the other issues got fixed. I was dreaming that the "Unable to change format on ep #84: already
in use" would have been made more useful ... - no luck

Stefan

Another weird issue is that once the usb connection is established,
playing the synth from its own knobs and keys is super sluggish (e.g. a
key release is recognized with a multi-second delay). Playing it via
midi is okay though.

The attached alsa-info.txt is from an ubuntu-14.04 machine. I've also
tested it against opensuse-13.2 with exactly the same issues.

One detail is that when connecting the synth to usb I get several
"[159320.243035] usb 4-1.5: Unable to change format on ep #84: already
in use" messages in syslog. I have no idea what it means though (what is
ep #84???, in use by whom, ...).

Any ideas what is going on here or how I can get more details? Is there
a way to trace usb activity on the specific device? I don't mind if it
gets a bit hard-core, I am a developer (mostly user-space though).

Thanks,
Stefan