Re: Route input to output with minimal latency

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 18:14:07 +0000, Robert Bielik wrote:
>No, software input to output, i.e. capture data and send to playback
>directly with minimal latency.
>
>But I realize that mmapping is not possible since capture and playback
>device will have separate buffers, so I still have to copy from
>capture to playback buffers.

I don't know to what "zero-copy" in the description refers to, but even
if there should be the need to copy, I doubt that latency caused by
such copies would be an issue, at least not for a negligible amount of
IOs. I guess if latency isn't caused by audio hardware, than usually by
the signal processing of applications, but unlikely by the routing.
However, I never programmed using ALSA and my audio recording
experiences are from decades ago. I was just surprised about the
< 1 ms, since I would expect software side this shouldn't be an issue.

I might be mistaken.