enumerate MIDI devices

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some guidance on how to properly use the information I get when I list MIDI devices.
I'm tinkering with this code https://github.com/scgolang/midi/blob/d50a32b1725ae42044c84f02a53c69004926bd93/midi_linux.go#L94-L152
which seems to list MIDI devices ok.
But if I prefer to use the RawMIDI API to actually connect to the device is this a reasonable way to formulate the device ID? https://github.com/scgolang/midi/blob/d50a32b1725ae42044c84f02a53c69004926bd93/midi_linux.go#L125
I'm guessing there is a better way to implement this, but I'm pretty new to the Sequencer API so I'm not sure what that better way might look like.
Does it even make sense to use the Sequencer API to list devices, but then use the RawMIDI API to open, read, and write?
The code I'm sharing is hopefully readable for C programmers despite the fact that it is Go.
Thanks in advance for any feedback!