snd_serial_u16550 and serial addon cards

Hello,

I am having troubles getting a Emagic Unitor working with either a PCI
or a PCIe serial addon card. Works fine with the onboard serial port,
though.

However, since I cannot pass thru the onboard serial port to a guest to
configure the device, I'd like to use an addon card. Also, in future
there will likely be more addon cards than mainboards with a serial
connector.

Works:
options snd-serial-u16550 port=0x03f8 irq=4 adaptor=4 ins=8 outs=8
id=UNITOR8 speed=115200 enable=1 index=4

Does not work (IRQ/Port according to lspci, onbord serial deactivated by
bios):
options snd-serial-u16550 port=0xa0b0 irq=21 adaptor=4 ins=8 outs=8
id=UNITOR8 speed=115200 enable=1 index=4

Same Problem btw. with a Motu Midi Express XT attached to a parallel
pcie card. clockworks, the motu configuration programm, works flawlessly
within a windows xp guest, but does not work with linux:

options snd-mtpav port=0xb000 irq=10 id=MTPAV hwports=8 index=3

When using the addon cards, both times the interfaces are listed by 'cat
/proc/asound/cards', which they are not when using wrong port numbers,
but no midi data send to those interfaces is actually arriving.

Any ideas what I may be missing?