Re: ice1712 recording

On 08/12/16 18:18, James Shatto wrote:

> No, I mean you can record all four channels as input at the same time
> with the same app.  Hence the -c 4 aka 4 channels.  In audacity you
> just select 4 channels and press record.  Once recorded you can break
> them out into 4 mono channels and save each individually (unmixed).
> There's no mixing involved until you configure it to do so.  WAV files
> and other audio formats often contain multiple tracks.  Individual
> unmixed tracks.  They are mixed at the time of playback if configured
> to do so.

Yes that works.  I had to select M Audio Delta 44: ICE1712 Multi(hw:0,0)
for recording.

Page 4-30 of the ice1712/envy24 data sheet shows that a multi channel
buffer is used to record "a seamless flow of multiple streams".

So the hardware is capable of multitrack record without using any sound
servers.

Anyway this seems to work with arecord ...

pcm.D44_cslave {
	type dsnoop
	ipc_key 223456
	slave {
		pcm		"hw:0,0"
		rate		48000
		period_time	0		# in microseconds
		buffer_size	256		# in bytes
		period_size	64		# in bytes
		channels	4
		format		S32_LE
	}
	bindings {
		0 0
		1 1
		2 2
		3 3
	}
}

pcm.D44_ch12_capture {
	type		plug
	ttable.0.0 1
	ttable.1.1 1
	slave.pcm	D44_cslave
}

pcm.D44_ch34_capture {
	type		plug
	ttable.0.2 1
	ttable.1.3 1
	slave.pcm	D44_cslave
}

Terminal 1 ...

$ arecord -v -DD44_ch12_capture -r 48000 -c 2 -d 60 -fS32_LE ./test12.wav

Terminal 2 ...

$ arecord -v -DD44_ch34_capture -r 48000 -c 2 -d 60 -fS32_LE ./test34.wav

No XRUNs but the buffer settings could do with some further optimisation.

The key is to use a dsnoop instead of a hw as the slave.

Thanks for your help James.