Re: ice1712 recording

It can record from all 4.  Although many applications only care about
left / channel 1 (defaults).  I tend to run pulseaudio over jackd
setup.  As that was the only way to have your mic be an input other
than 1 for apps like skype.  Since channel 1 and 2 are typically
stereo output.

$ man arecord

-c, --channels=#
  the number of channels.  The default is one channel. .....

I suspect that adding -c 4 would overcome the issue.  The -f dat has a
default of -f S16_LE -c 2 -r 48000.  So you might want to change that
parameter as well.

$ arecord -Dhw:1 -f S24_LE -t wav -c 4 -r 96000 output.wav

I have that card, although I haven't booted that old PCI system in a
while.  What I recall of that card, that should be the highest
sampling available for it.  24 bit, 96kHz, 4 channels (input).  In
theory it has a 10 channel output mixer.  It's a nice card, a shame
most newer things don't have PCI in favor of PCIe.

You might want to simplify your .asoundrc, it's more likely to get in
the way than help these days.

#-----
defaults.ctl.card 1
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
#-----

Assuming that it didn't get index 0 in /proc/asound/cards.  But did
get 1.  In alsa speak that's equivalent to -Dhw:1,0 .  Although you
might want to omit the ,0 since that's typcially playback, not
capture, so -Dhw:1

- James