usx2yloader succeeds when us-122 hot-plugged, but fails when machine booted with us-122 connected

Hi all.

I'm setting up my tascam us-122 under debian jessie, and everything is
working correctly if I boot the laptop *then* connect the us-122.

If, however, if I boot the laptop with the us-122 already connected,
everything does *not* work correctly.

lsusb shows the id as 1604:8007 - this tells me that the us-122 has
had the first-stage firmware correctly installed by fxload. I've also
added lots of debug statements into /lib/udev/tascam_fpga and these
tell me that usx2yloader is being called during boot-up. However,
/proc/asound/USX2Y contains only the id file (there are no midi0,
pcm0c, pcm0p, pcm2c or pcm2p files).

If I run usx2yloader after I have fully booted, then the command runs
successfully and the us-122 is correctly initialised.

I even added a 10 second sleep just before the call to
/usr/bin/usx2yloader inside the file /lib/udev/tascam_fpga (thinking
that this problem might just be due to the device not having completed
its first stage firmware load), but even that didn't help.

Could anyone please tell me why usx2yloader is (silently) failing when
it's called during boot-up, or how I can debug this further?

Many thanks, Jaime