Stream capture of S24_3LE mostly null from USB

I'm a beta tester for a synth trying to troubleshoot a new Class Compliant USB IO board. It uses UAC2 to stream 192k stereo, or 12 channels at 48k or 96k. The snd-usb-audio module loads when I connect the device and it looks to be identified correctly under /proc/asound, reporting its output format as S24_3LE, which I believe is correct.

With one exception, though, any stream I capture from this input - I used arecord, Audacity and Jack (via alsa_in and routed to my soundcard output) - contains mostly nulls with what looks like the occasional valid data point, every hundred or so samples. (I haven't counted them.)

The exception is Ardour using the ALSA, which captures the entire 12 channel stream flawlessly.

What might Ardour be doing to set things up properly and how do I replicate this such that the rest of my system does it, too?

(I'm running Ubuntu Studio 16.04.1 LTS with ALSA Version k4.4.0-45 on a Thinkpad X230.)

Thanks

BN