Re: Issues with a RolandGaia SH-01

On 07/27/2016 10:04 PM, Stefan Sauer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I own a Roland Gaia SH-01 synthesizer which has a USB interface to
> connect it to a computer. Over this connection it provides both midi and
> usb-audio. That is you can send and receive midi, but also audio. The
> audio you play from the computer gets mixed into the audio you play on
> the keyboard, but also the audio you play on the computer can be
> recorded on the computer. For details, see pdfs:
> http://roland.com/support/article/?q=manuals&p=SH-01 -> page 42
>
> So far the theory. Attached is the alsa-info.sh output:
> - all the devices are detected.
> - midi-io works
> - playing audio from the computer to the synthesizer works
> - recording audio from the synthesizer does not, it records only silence
> - alsamixer shows only one single control to set the 'midi input mode'
> (whatever that is), there are not volume or mute controls for the audio
> interface
>
> Another weir issue is that once the usb connection is established,
> playing the synth from its own knobs and keys is super sluggish (e.g. a
> key release is recognized with a multi-second delay). Playing it via
> midi is okay though.
>
> The attached alsa-info.txt is from an ubuntu-14.04 machine. I've also
> tested it against opensuse-13.2 with exactly the same issues.
>
> One detail is that when connecting the synth to usb I get several
> "[159320.243035] usb 4-1.5: Unable to change format on ep #84: already
> in use" messages in syslog. I have no idea what it means though (what is
> ep #84???, in use by whom, ...).
>
> Any ideas what is going on here or how I can get more details? Is there
> a way to trace usb activity on the specific device? I don't mind if it
> gets a bit hard-core, I am a developer (mostly user-space though).
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

A small update. When running aseqdump and connecting the Roland SH-01'd
midi to aseqdump the sluggishness is gone. I can play it normally on the
hardware too.

Also I was searching for the usb error and I lead me to this thread:

https://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg30331.html

related to a device called "Boss ME-80" that has exactly the same issue.
The thread did not got resolved.

I also did usb captures with wireshark.

lsusb shows "Bus 004 Device 007: ID 0582:0111 Roland Corp. GAIA SH-01"

hence I capture from usbmon4. If I also start arecord in parallel I get
data packets, but understanding them, is beyond me at this point.

Finally, let me link to this ubuntu launchpad bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/902497 (with links
to the git commits that added support for the synth).

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/?id=ae7cc709f2ec11b49fc31b20cd8c943794ae9576

if I look at HEAD,
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/tree/sound/usb/quirks-table.h,
this quirks entry seems to be gone? Am I looking at the right repo?

Stefan