Bind several mixer devices defined in asound.state, present or not

Hello all,

First a small introduction: I use Alsa as a proxy to synchronize
volume/mixer levels across a number of audio applications and my hifi
amplifier. In the past I had pcm and mixer data send to different
alsa-devices from the audio applications, the former going to a usb-dac,
the latter going to snd_dummy. One advantage of that is that the dummy
card is always available contrary to the usb-dac which may be on or off.
However, now I have an application that doesn't allow sending mixer data
to different devices (and I can't change that either, closed source), so
I created a dummy mixer device for my usb-dac in the file asound.state.
This works well, but when the dac is powered off, the mixer device
doesn't exist. This creates a problem, most applications don't care if
the pcm device is not there while not being used. The mixer device is
expected to always be there.

Hence, my question: is it possible to create a virtual mixer device that
binds a set of mixer devices which might be there at one point or not?

In essence, I would like to have a mixer device that is always there and
is synchronized with the mixer of my usb-dac when it's there but doesn't
complain if it isn't. Preferably I would like to create a sort of
binding between a number of usb-dac already defined in the asound.state
file (including snd-dummy).

Unfortunately I haven't found a basis to work from online. I do find
info on slave/binding different pcm devices, but these leave the ctl
devices empty.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Is this possible at all?

Thanks in advance and kind regards, Maarten