Set tick state in seq ?

Dear alsa list --

I am trying to find out how to set the tick state in the midi seq library.   Can anyone help?

The midiarp.c demo in the tutorial shows how to read the tick state, and how to get and set the tempo.   So I was expecting to find a function called something like  snd_seq_queue_set_tick , but there doesn't seem to be one in the API.

(It's for a DJ-like application where I want to vary the tempo and position during MIDI playback).