Re: Improve audio resource management

Hi,

See inline comments.

From: chris hermansen [mailto:clhermansen@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 17 March 2016 16:24
To: Paixao Julien <J.Paixao@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] Improve audio resource management

Julien and list,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:48 AM, Paixao Julien <J.Paixao@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I have a question regarding audio resource management using GStreamer, let's consider the following situation:

- On a server, an audio stream will be send to a multicast group when needed and only when needed.

- On client side it needs to playback the audio stream on a local speaker (using alsasink).
Most of the time, the audio stream won't be available on the network, so I would like to not lock the speaker resource (alsasink is locking it).
One the audio stream is there, then I will take the speaker resource and lock it.

Does GStreamer provide any clean way(s) of doing that?
FYI on client side I do not have any hardware mixing capabilities on my audio card.

What if something else is already using the speaker on your client when the audio stream arrives?  Presumably your lock will fail...

[>] Each audio source has its own priority, the highest priority will get the speaker resource.

Why don't you just software mix into the existing audio stream?

I think Pulse Audio could accomplish what you want (though maybe not the locking).

[>] Because on client side it’s a tiny embedded device where pulse audio or other audio server cannot run on.

--

Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.