Re: how to play through a ha-2 digital

chris hermansen <clhermansen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John and list,
>
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 6:42 AM, <covici@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi.  I have a usb Oppo digital ha-2 and I would like to use mplayer to
> > play through this device.  How do I fix things so that when the device
> > is plugged in, it becomes the default sound card and how do I adjust
> > things, the /proc/asound/cards says:
> >  1 [DAC            ]: USB-Audio - OPPO HA-2 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC
> >                        OPPO OPPO HA-2 USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC at
> >                                    usb-0000:00:1d.0-1.6, high speed
> >
> > If I do a contents by doing amixer -c 1 contents it says:
> > numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='OPPO Clock Selector Playback Switch'
> >   ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
> >     : values=on
> >     numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='OPPO Clock Selector Playback Volume'
> >       ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=1,min=0,max=127,step=0
> >            : values=127
> >              | dBminmax-min=-127.00dB,max=0.00dB
> >                 numid=1,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map'
> >                   ;
> > type=INTEGER,access=r----R--,values=2,min=0,max=36,step=0
> >                     : values=0,0
> >                       | container
> >                              | chmap-fixed=FL,FR
> >
> > Any assistance would be appreciated.
> >

> John, we might be able to help you better if you can answer the following
> questions.
>
> Do you have Pulse Audio installed and working, or only Alsa?
>
> Do you want to route all audio through the Oppo or only selected audio
> (like your music stream for instance)?
>
> Do I understand you correctly - you want your computer to "function
> normally", using built-in audio, until you plug in the Oppo, at which time
> you want the computer to switch automatically to the Oppo?  And then do you
> expect it to switch back when the Oppo is unplugged?
>
> Do you have the Oppo working when you set the output device manually?

Well, I do not have or want pulse audio!  I have the ha-2 working, if I
specify the device on an individual command -- took a while to find the
correct syntax for mplayer -- it would be nice if the default would
automatically change to the dac when it is plugged and then revert
automatically to the internal sound card.  This would take account of
those programs where I can't control the default sound card
individually.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici