Re: A long shot I know: recording from a POTS phone for voicemail

Doug, Philip, list;

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM, doug <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/23/2016 03:10 PM, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I know this is a bit of a long shot but does anyone here have any
> experience setting up a voicemail recording system for a POTS phone?  I
> thought it should be simpler than using say using Asterisk to set up a
> whole PABX but maybe it isn't . .
>
> Yhanks,
>
> Phil.
It depends on what you are trying to do. If you just want to record the
audio on a telephone line, the easiest way is
a small audio transformer and a capacitor. Say a 10000 Ohm 1:1 audio
transformer and about a 0.1 microfarad capacitor
rated at 100 volts DC or better in series with the transformer on the
phone line side. Connect the secondary to the recorder
or computer line input.

If you're trying to run voice in both directions from, say, a computer
to the phone line, you need a telephone modem, which
is explicitly designed to do that job.

Most older laptops include a modem.  Or if you don't have one of those you can buy a cheapo modem

Here is a reference you might find useful http://www.linuxtoys.org/answer/answering_machine.html

Here is another http://frank.harvard.edu/~coldwell/answering_machine/

Another http://askubuntu.com/questions/513004/telephone-call-answering-machine-software

Another http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/44624/is-there-a-way-for-linux-to-pick-up-the-phone

You may also be able to do the job with vgetty http://linux.die.net/man/8/vgetty

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.