Re: Recording without plughw channel mixing

Hi Clemens,

Am 28.01.2016 um 09:34 schrieb Clemens Ladisch:
> Klaus Jaensch wrote:
>> we use an M-Audio Fast Track USB device to record mono speech.
>> We face the problem that for mono recordings both input channels of the
>> device are mixed together. But we want to record only the left channel,
>> not the mix.
> Try:
>    arecord -D '{type plug slave.pcm "hw:Track" route_policy copy}' -f cd -c1 mono.wav
Thanks. Though the command line does not work on Ubuntu 12.04, I was
able to record the left channel using the "route_policy copy" option in
/etc/asound.conf by overwriting the plughw device.
A drawback of this configuration is that the playback of mono files
through the plughw device is routed to the left channel only, too.
Not so good when we use headphones.
If tried to apply the option only to capture, but I could not get it to
work.

Furthermore what I'm actually looking for, is a way to configure this
system-wide for all applications.
So I need to configure the ALSA default device which is routed to
PulseAudio on our Ubuntu systems. It looks like that the PulseAudio
implementation does the same mixing of capture channels as ALSA.
Maybe I should ask the PulseAudio developers how to achieve this...

I'm wondering if it is possible at all to configure the Linux audio
system to get the same default routing as on Windows and Mac OS X.

Regards,
Klaus

> Regards,
> Clemens

Klaus Jaensch
Muenchen
Germany

Institut fuer Phonetik und Sprachverarbeitung
Schellingstr.3/II
Room 223 VG
80799 München

Phone (Work): +49-(0)89-2180-2806