------- Original Message -------

Sender : Takashi Sakamoto<o-takashi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date : Jan 28, 2016 11:55 (GMT+05:30)

Title : Re: switching alsa card at run time

Hi,

On Jan 28 2016 14:14, Prashant Jain wrote:
> We are required to switch stream running on analog headset to usb
> headset  when usb headset is plugged in. Through udev rules, I can
> detect plugging in-out of usb headset. Is there any way in alsa to
> transfer the running stream from one card to another, through command line.

As long as I know, no way in ALSA.

I think you use API in alsa-lib. When you open PCM handles, the handles
are basically assigned to ALSA PCM character devices. Therefore, unless
you close the PCM handlers, you cannot use another PCM handler as a
target for the PCM substream.

Exceptionally, when you use PCM nodes with external plugins such as
'pulse', you can achieve it. In application side, PCM frames are
transferred by a single PCM handles, on the other hand, PulseAudio
daemon performs what you require.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto