Unsetting PCM Definitions

Hi,

I'm running Slackware -current (updated 17 Oct 2015) with a custom build
of kernel 4.1.6 and ALSA 1.0.29.  My sound hardware is correctedly
detected, and audio works:
"
$ aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: VT1802 Analog [VT1802 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 2: VT1802 Alt Analog [VT1802 Alt Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
"

But there are a slew of stock PCM definitions set for this hardware that
I don't want, particularly the surroundXX ones:
"
$ aplay -L
null
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
    Front speakers
surround21:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
    2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, VT1802 Analog
hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
"

These stock definitions not only clutter my device list, but produce
messy warning notices when running many of my ALSA apps.  Here is an
example from a command-line program included with the Composers Desktop
Project tools:
"
$ listaudevs
ALSA lib pcm.c:2267:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2267:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2267:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:963:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports
only playback stream
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:963:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) The dmix plugin supports
only playback stream
Device	Input	Output	Name
 0	2	2	HDA Intel PCH: VT1802 Analog (hw:0,0)
 1	0	8	HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0 (hw:0,3)
 2	128	128	sysdefault
 3	0	2	front
 4	0	2	surround40
 5	0	2	surround51
 6	0	2	surround71
 7	0	8	hdmi
 8	0	128	main
 9	0	2	dmix
*10	0	128	default
"

What I'd like to do is UNset the unwanted PCM definitions in
/etc/asound.conf (i.e., without having to doctor
/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf), and I'm not clear on the proper way to do this.

The documentation I've found online has been extremely helpful in
describing how to configure ALSA for a variety of use cases, but
unsetting unwanted PCM definitions does not seem to have been covered in
any of them.  The one reply I received to my post on LinuxQuestions
suggested I try this mailing list, and I was not able to find anything
that seemed to specifically address this topic in the archives.

Can anyone suggest something I might have overlooked?

\\ Arthur