Re: Fedora 23 x86_64; Pulseaudio removed; playing from multiple sources serially

Chris,

On 2015-09-27 00:23, chris hermansen Sat wrote:
> Phil and list,
>
> On Sep 26, 2015 03:21, "Philip Rhoades" <p...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> People,
>>
>> Years ago when I needed to simplify things to solve audio hardware
>> problems, I had to remove PA - and for every new version ever since I
>> have automatically uninstalled it to continue to keep things as simple
>> as possible - which generally works well for me.  Mostly I play audio
>> and video stuff from the CLI with mplayer but on odd occasions, like
>> when I want to listen to a long audio book, it is more convenient to
>> use
>> QuodLibet which remembers where I am up to on the MP3.  However I have
>> found that if I forget to exit QL, then mplayer does not work . . I
>> guess there is no solution to having multiple players open at the same
>> time - but not playing at the same time - and being able to switch
>> between them without reinstalling PA?
>>
>> I also quite frequently have problems with audio on Chrome...
>
> Phil, my environment and use of it is somewhat different than yours.
>
> I use Ubuntu; leave Pulse in place; use the standard video application
> (totem, I think) for video and Guayadeque for audio rather than mplayer
> and
> QuodLibet, talking directly to Alsa and to an external DAC;

But I prefer the CLI . .

> use Firefox for
> the web in general and for YouTube and Vimeo (though not much) and use
> Chrome only for Netflix.

That doesn't really suit me . .

> Given those differences, my experience with Pulse in the last several
> releases has been problem-free. In particular, no problems of the type
> you
> describe.
>
> So my advice to you would be to try Pulse out again.

Maybe I should at least try reinstalling Pulse and see how it goes but I
don't like that it introduces another layer of complexity when it might
not be necessary . . I was hoping some ALSA guru here could tell me how
to conveniently allow multiple sound sources without PA . .

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades