intel hda vs asus xonar STX

Hi All,

My alsa version is 1.0.27 and my kernel version is 3.10.14.

There are two sound card on the system. A chips on the mother
board which is driven as far as I know by an hda intel driver
and a PCI xonar STX card.

On the first one mixing is possible : I mean that if a sound
process as aplay for instance is running and you start another
one like mplayer for instance sound is mixed and you might
listen to the two sources taht are played.

With the xonar STX card it does not seem to be possible. If an
aplay process is running and you try to start a mplayer process
for instance it failed with error message indicating taht the
device is busy.

I don't know where it comes from. Does the asus xonar STX card
not have natively ability to mix sound ? Does the driver not
implement this feature ? I know that in the past it might be
necessarry to activate something like dmix that was no longer
needed by newer chips since they have ability to mix without
any work of the driver.

Is it not the case with the xonar STX card and do I have to
setup something like dmix ?

Regards

Pierre