Re: Xonar D2 spdif input

Alan Bromborsky wrote:
> I have a Xonar D2 sound card.  I wish to capture 5.1 digital input from
> this sound card.

Please note that S/PDIF is designed for stereo audio data.  Using it
with multichannel data is possible only by compressing the audio so that
the compressed stream has the same bandwidth as an uncompressed stereo
stream; the compression algorithm is either Dolby Digital or DTS.

> Can this be done in linux and if so which alsa device and options should
> I use?

Run "arecord -l".  There should be a separate device for the digital
input, which should be available as "hw:D2,1".  You have to pretend to
record two channels, and the resulting file will not contain PCM audio
but compressed data.  I don't know you can decode it; probably with
ffmpeg.

Regards,
Clemens