Driver remains at 24 Library Utilities 25 (see script log)

Hello everybody.

I am advised here, in Step 3:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshootingProcedure
That the driver must be the same version as library and utilities.
I have re-installed alsa (perhaps incorrectly)..... the driver remains at 1.0.24 instead of 25

The Problem:
The speaker emits sound at login screen (drum roll), but emits no sound in ubuntu xubuntu 12.04
Sound is present in the system.
It will play through external speakers, and the Pulse monitor bar, dances around nicely, but no re-config sees the speaker emitting sound.

In attempting solve this problem, I discovered the mismatched alsa versions.

Script output, prior to specifically re-installing alsa:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d14adaf4ce8b483f2efc9e3ce4f4f554515b8027

Here is the Alsa install command I used:
sudo apt-get update;sudo apt-get dist-upgrade; sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-utils; sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install alsa-base alsa-utils

Script output, post install command:
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=77747dc55bb07c3ef222dec15332bd35d5ab9aaf

There appears to be no change..... neither with speaker output.

Could this driver version mismatch be the cause?
And anyway..... is it true that all three version must be the same?

Thank you.