Mac Pro ACL889A headphone output does not work

I have a Mac Pro with a Realtek ACL889A codec.

The headphone jack does not work under Linux. (No problems under OS X or
Windows 7.)

According to this list

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kernel.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt;hb=HEAD

The ACL889A is no longer a named codec and previous support for
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf options for "model=" types such as
"macpro" are missing.

Before I continue trying different "options ... model= ..." combinations
I am looking for a sanity check that ALSA even supports the ACL889A, if
the unique output configuration of the Mac Pro (2009 model) is
recognized and if entries in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.con such as ...

options snd-hda-intel model=macpro

... actually have an effect.